Sunday, June 1, 2008

The final countdown...

21 days

Today is June 1, 2008...on June 22 I, along with several friends and 2000+ other triathletes, will challenge ourselves at Ironman Couer d'Alene. For some of us it will be our first attempt, for others (myself included) it will be a return to an event that sometimes brings happiness, success, triumph, heartache, frustration...but always brings out the most inner-part of who we are, what we are made of...

Yesterday, after a quite enjoyable 58 miles ride, I set out for my run. At 1.5 miles, I broke down.

I quit.

I don't know why, exactly. I just stopped, took off my visor, my sunglasses and set down my water bottle. I walked around in circles for a minutes saying that I was done and that I didn't want to do this anymore. My friend looked at me like I was crazy. Then he picked up my stuff, handed it to me, gave me a quick hug and asked if I was ready to go back to the car.

That's when I started running again.

Then I was fine. I settled into my pace and after 4 miles, my friend stopped and I kept on for another two miles of quite pleasant running...at least as pleasant as 95 degrees can be for a run! I actually enjoyed the run once I got over myself.

This is what keeps me coming back...the challenge we constantly place on ourselves to compete, to complete and to excel in our endeavors.

Good luck to us all!

***********************************************************************************
Today we swam in 55 degree water and survived!! It wasn't nearly as dreadful as I had anticipated. Of course, my feet and hands felt like they were burning at first, but as soon as I started swimming I actually felt fairly comfortable.

The trick is to keep moving!

I also had the pleasure of meeting a woman who has successfully completed the English Channel swim. Awesome!! I am so amazed by her ability and dedication...and she's a gem of a person, too!

2 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

The fact that you picked yourself and started running again says it all...I'm so proud of you!

Marsha Marsha Marsha said...

good for you!!

at least you haven't tried throwing your bike across the highway.