Sunday, March 2, 2008

Up and Running...

I did it!! I ran 10 miles today without pain!!

I had such a great time riding yesterday that I felt my confidence level soar and I thought to myself, "if I can run 10 miles tomorrow pain-free, then maybe, just maybe I'll have a good race in Galveston at the LoneStar Triathlon (a half-iron distance event). Having a good showing (by my own standards) will mean that I'm on track for IM CDA in June.

So this morning I laced up my shoes, grabbed my iPod and headed out to a gray and very windy day. I didn't pay attention to the wind or to anything, for that matter. All I cared about was running. After the first couple of miles I got into my groove and everything fell into place - my breathing, my arms in rhythm with my legs - it was all working. The more I ran, the stronger my legs felt. I stopped at one point to get rid of a rock that jumped into my shoe and as I was bent over I saw Terra Castro run past. After we waved as she flew past me I had a thought...what if I can just keep her in sight? So off I went...the chase had begun! Now granted, she was running many more miles than I and wasn't running race-pace, but I was determined to not let her out of my sight. So for maybe 3 miles I did all in my power to keep her in view...and it worked! She was the only person I saw; I was blind to everything else (ok, I did look both ways before crossing the street) around me and it wasn't until I neared the MoPac bridge that I lost her. I was dying for water and had to stop - she was long gone by that point. Terra's such a great person and inspiration that just running (way) behind her gives me such motivation to stay focused and positive.

After the 10 miles, I felt in my mind and in my legs that I could've run 3 more miles...I'm now looking forward to Galveston!!

********

On a separate note, I went to San Antonio today with a friend of mine to the Majestic Theatre and saw The Phantom of the Opera...awesome!! Thanks, Rafael!

********

And on yet another separate note, thanks to Esther, Eryn and Jessica for letting me vent my frustrations and being so supportive!! You girls rock!

No comments: