Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Saying a prayer...

I have a friend, M, who I used to work with but lost regular touch with after the layoffs and life's ebbs and flows. We were all about the same age and used to hang out and drink wine and just have fun. We kept up with each other over time through another friend. She and her husband had a baby and so then we would see each other at the occasional party...you know how that goes.

After the baby was born she was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through hell to fight it. I saw her a few months ago and she was radiant and even more amazing than I ever remembered her. With what she and her family went through, it's no wonder!

The joy fell silent as we have now learned that the cancer has returned. Now there are more tests and more waiting. While the prognosis isn't good, there is a little hope...sometimes that's enough. While I'm trying to make sense of it, even though I know it's impossible, I can't help but want to scream, "It's not fair!!" Knowing all too well that life isn't fair.

I've never been a religious person but over time I find myself becoming more spiritual...and when things like this happen, I can't help but think that maybe a little prayer certainly can't hurt.

So to my friend and her family, I pray that they remain strong during this terribly difficult time. I pray that she is able to withstand whatever treatment she will endure in her fight against the disease. I pray that her little boy grows up with his mother and not just her memory.

Makes you think of your own mortality just a bit, doesn't it?

1 comment:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

sister-we're going through a similar experience with my sister-in-law right now. So incredibly devastating...Your friend is in my ever-growing list of prayers.