Sunday, November 16, 2008

Perspective...

You know how sometimes you get caught up in the events in your life and then something happens that reminds you that most of us are super lucky.

Saturday afternoon, after my last bike ride, I had the pleasure of meeting up with some of my girlfriends for lunch. Six women laughing, eating, drinking wine and enjoying the day. Seems normal. Normal except for the fact that the one with the brightest smile and the biggest blue eyes you've ever seen is fighting an uphill battle with breast cancer. Second time around. So far, the chemo is working. We had a three hour lunch then took her shopping - a little gift from us to her for her courage and selflessness through all of this. Like most moms, she has little time for shopping (for herself) between caring for her son, husband and trying to defeat cancer.

Spending time talking with her about life now really hit home. No matter what I might feel is tumultuous in my life, it in no way is comparable to what she has endured and continues to endure. She speaks of medicines and treatments like most of us talk about training schedules and nutritional supplements. Where we talk of losing toenails to running, she talks of losing toenails to chemo.

And we think Ironman is hard?

Yes, Ironman is difficult and challenging and so is cancer. Next week, as I enter the chilly waters of Tempe Town Lake, I will have a new perspective and remember her. I will remember what she and so many others are enduring and I will use their strength to help me through my day. I will remember how blessed I am to have my health, family and friends. And I will remember to have FUN!!!