Saturday, April 26, 2008

No Bonk!

If you read a post from a few weeks ago, you know that I had a major BONK on a 16 mile run. Well, today I headed out for my long run under the same hot and humid conditions and at the same time of day - midday!! Real smart, right?

This time I loaded my water bottle with H2O and CarboPro and three gels, each with 150 calories (electrolytes & carbs, yummy!). I ate well before my swim (which I did before my run) and then refueled before the run. I realized that it was going to be a trying day so I made sure to start out nice and easy for my first loop. As I started the second loop I still felt solid and again reminded myself to take it easy because this is, after all, a training run. I'm not going to set any land speed records - ever - and what my focus is today is getting the miles on my legs. By the time I got to my third and final loop I was getting tired but noticed that I wasn't feeling the bonk that I felt last time. I had been maintaining my fuel, just as I had planned. I had forgotten one important item though, my salt tablets! I thought about it as I looked down and realized that my navy colored shorts now had lovely white salt splotches all over them. Oh well, I proceeded and while I did fall off my pace a bit I still completed the almost 19 miles at a 9:35 pace. Like I said, not setting any land speed records, but for a hot and humid day I'll take it!

Now I just have to hope it doesn't storm tomorrow, as is predicted, so we can get our ride in!!

2 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Nice solid run! Hope you got your ride in yesterday!! I didn't head out until 2:30p and still got stuck in a downpour at 71 and Bee Caves for about 10 minutes...

Marsha Marsha Marsha said...

we should get Don T Bonk to run after you during your workouts