Thursday, October 23, 2008

30 Days and Counting...

Today marks the start of the 30 day countdown. This is my second IM countdown this year and it feels totally different. The anxiety hasn't risen yet and I'm not sure if it's because I'm calm, cool and collected or if I'm just too damn tired at this point to feel anything.

Sure I'm excited when I really sit down and think about it and I do get a few butterflies, but it's very manageable...so far. I'm sure that will change as we get closer to race day. What's amazing to me is how different I have felt before each race.

The First: too naive to know better
The Second: too anxious to prove I can do better
The Third: too tired but more confident in my fitness

One thing I have noticed though, is that I have begun to obsess over it in my head. It's all I can think about. Will I like my new wetsuit? Will I ever get my new goggles adjusted just right? Will I manage my nutrition like I need to? Will I hold on to my run? Will I be able to stay in my game even if things start to go crazy?

Some of these things I have no control over other than how I deal with them; others are all under my control...this is up to me. I guess that's one reason why I like Ironman so much...you really do learn so much about what you're made of and who you are...and who you want to become. I could go on and on on my philosophy regarding Ironman, but I will spare you...for now.

No comments: